What is digging with a spoon? As a working mother who loves more than anything to write, I embraced Julianna Baggott's words: "Sometimes, I felt like a prisoner with a spoon. I could dig away, doing little bits at a time, hoping I would see the light." See my first blog for more on my first foray into spoon digging!
November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 December 2009


Friday, June 09, 2006

Tall Blog, No Foam

(No Saturday blog this week. Just a short entry before we head to Vermont.)

Part of me is cynical about Starbucks, that mega mocha mecca that has so many of us hooked. I suspect that even the retro background music is coldly calculated to induce more coffee purchases. But I must admit I liked Tony Bennett crooning and Nina Simone wailing while I drank my decaf cappuccinos and drafted another book chapter on Wednesday.

This was not so unusual: I often maximize these child-free moments (Tom took Gavin to the mall) to catch up on writing, and my breakaway sessions have me glowing. But the days that followed my Starbucks interlude felt even more promising.

I mentioned last week that I sometimes struggle with integrating my writing into day-to-day existence. Just writing that activated a switch somewhere, and since then I have acted more like the writer I want to be. Writing feels more like a practical matter, and less like a far away dream. I have printed things to read en route, popped open my laptop just to add a thought or two to the latest chapter, and started carrying a disk wherever I go. I have broken through an invisible barrier, the one that saved "real" writing for the undisturbed moments that surface fairly infrequently.

I know I am attached to this book, because I carry a disk separately from my computer. In the unlikely event that someone steals my ancient, 20-pound laptop, I will still have the latest version in my purse. I had to create my own paper holder for the floppy disk (not even sure they make floppy cases anymore! Time to upgrade.).

Tom and I are married 16 years today. Another milestone to savor, but we are postponing our celebration. It's a tall order to get packed, and to get our little family + my mom, brother, and their dachshund out the door before 9 AM. There is little room for romance in a crowded pickup truck!

Until next Saturday...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

KATHY, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BOOK AND MAY YOU FIND THAT TIME AND SPACE FOR A GREAT ANNIVERSARY WALTZ!

VERMONT WAS GREAT AND YOU, TOM, AND GAVIN ARE GREAT TRAVELING COMPANIONS.

LOVE, M.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home