What is digging with a spoon? As a working mother who loves more than anything to write, I embraced Julianna Baggott's words: "Sometimes, I felt like a prisoner with a spoon. I could dig away, doing little bits at a time, hoping I would see the light." See my first blog for more on my first foray into spoon digging!
November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 December 2009


Friday, April 14, 2006

Wrens, Woodstock, and the Universe

Thirty six hours from now, I will be having dinner in Vermont with my sister Linda and her family, a long overdue visit that I anticipate with great joy. After Easter dinner the next day, Tom, Gavin, and I are headed to Big Indian for a mini-getaway. Big Indian is a Catskills town outside of Woodstock, NY, and Woodstock is near and dear to our hearts. We love the free spirits, the artsy feel, and the country air. We gawk a bit at the hippies playing bongos on the square, eat falafel at Joshua's, and buy too many books at the Golden Notebook. I am sure we will love every minute of it (although I don't think Gavin will eat falafel!).

A prophecy of mine has been fulfilled. Two blogs ago, I wrote: I checked the porch eaves for the wren that comes every spring (no sign yet, but she is coming). And then, last night, there she was. Wren has a special meaning to me: I wrote an entire essay on her visits to our porch: Wren occupied the ledge at the edge, quite literally where my inner life met my outer world.... Watching Wren, I was interested, patient, protective, savoring the moment, graced, illuminated, and waiting for the next illuminated moment. The best thing about Wren's debut this year was the fact that Gavin got to whisper good night to her. She opened her eyes and peered down at us sleepily, didn't stir. I felt blessed by her presence.

After I wrote last week's blog on synchronicity, serendipity, and luck, my mom handed me a book she had just finished on the same theme. I thought Paul Pearsall's Making Miracles title sounded hokey, and I was turned off by the fact that he has written a lot of self help books (not my thing). But this book has new ideas that are sparking some good musings for me. Pearsall writes a lot about quantum physics and chaos theory, and I contemplate these more abstract areas in a vague way until I get to anecdotes, where I can really relate. There are lots of great stories about the power of thought and perspective. Basically the message is that we are one with the universe, and that the universe offers messages for us. When I write it this way, though, it sounds so Shirley MacLaine, so spacey, and that's not it at all. To me, it's about being open to possibility, to the appearance of something that will lead you in a good direction.

One interesting thought has been to pay attention to coincidences. The first coincidence was writing the blog and then getting the book on the same themes. This led to a great conversation with Mom on some challenging issues. Then there were 2 moments where I thought of friends who called at that same moment. And finally, Wren appeared. My more jaded side asked, Am I searching for meaning where there is none? But my believer side was answering before the question was even complete: If it has meaning to you, it is valuable.

I guess all these musings boil down to one thing for me: connectedness. There are birds, books, friends out there that seem to appear at the very moments I need them. Whether there is anything mystical about this, who knows? Either way, I am grateful. These birds, books, and friends make me think, they are reassuring, they add meaning to a life sometimes heavy with routine and obligation.

Enough philosophizing. Off to the very concrete pleasures of good food, good company, possibly a date (thanks to Linda's babysitting service!), an Easter egg hunt, and long walks in Woodstock. There is nothing like the pleasure and relief of a long-anticipated vacation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

KATHY, LOVE THIS BLOG!

BIRDS, BOOKS, AND FRIENDS INDEED. I LOVED HEARING THAT GAVIN SAID GOODNIGHT TO WREN-VERY TOUCHING.

I LIKE IT WHEN YOU SEEM TO WRITE WITH GREAT SIMPLICITY FROM YOUR HEART.

THIS WAS SO HONEST I COULD ALMOST TASTE IT.

KEEP UP WITH ALL YOUR BLOGGING. EVERY ONE OF THEM HAS BEEN WELL WORTH READING.

LOVE, M.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home