What is digging with a spoon? As a working mother who loves more than anything to write, I embraced Julianna Baggott's words: "Sometimes, I felt like a prisoner with a spoon. I could dig away, doing little bits at a time, hoping I would see the light." See my first blog for more on my first foray into spoon digging!
November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 December 2009


Saturday, February 25, 2006

Soak Up the Sun

Why is our house so big, Mom?

Because we’re lucky, Gavin.


Gavin and I have many exchanges like this. We discuss why our kitchen is so big, how much he likes our bathroom, and why there is so much food in the pantry.

Our house is not big. It is a 1910 threadbare farmhouse. Sometimes I love it dearly. More often I am dissatisfied with its drafty, worn rooms, with no budget (and limited energy) to do much about its flaws.

The first time Gavin asked some of these questions, I could have posed different answers.

It’s not big honey. Don’t you remember Nicole’s house? (Now that’s big).

We don’t have a lot of food, honey. We have to go shopping again.

But Gavin seems to like my standard answer. Sometimes, if I am feeling more instructive, we go on to talk about people who have no home, or not enough food, and how they need our help.

I went with Because we’re lucky because I wanted to reinforce Gavin’s natural optimism and appreciation. I wish I could retrieve the perspective I had as a child. My mom nicknamed me Pollyanna, for the child who played “the glad game”, an enthused, persistent hunt for something positive in every situation.

Young children live in the moment, and only see what is in front of them. Then, as they are exposed to more of the world, they start to make comparisons. When I started to lose the knack for the glad game, Mom started reminding me that “Comparisons are odious” , a quote that goes back many years and is attributed to John Donne and Cervantes, among others.

The quote was Mom’s way of saying “Stop comparing yourself to others.” Funny, though. I always assumed odious meant something more benign, like meaningless or useless. I looked it up today, and the word goes so much deeper than that. It means hateful, horrible, abhorrent, revolting.

Let me add toxic. This week, I found myself wrapped in a suffocating web of tangled comparisons. I compared the clutter of my house to my friend Pam’s pristine, well decorated abode, and my lack of money to someone else’s sudden windfall. I compared my medical writing job to my dream of writing creatively full time. And, worst of all, I compared myself to my own impossibly high expectations (and, of course, came up sorely lacking).

Persistent as Pollyanna, the universe keeps sending me messages. I listened to Sheryl Crow on the way to work, and she urged me to Soak Up the Sun: “It's not having what you want; It's wanting what you've got.”

Tom is reading books on Buddhism, and they seem to be leaping into my hands, with similar messages on almost every page. In a chapter on Right Livelihood, one author talked about peace and acceptance through perspectives like I am what I am, I do what I do (as opposed to I am what I do, or I am what I have). Right away I tie this to my Sunday School days. God said to Moses from the burning bush, I am that I am. Like an adult child seeing her parent in a new light, I think maybe God had something there.

The hard part of all these insights is applying them in a concrete way. But the universe had an answer for that, too. Sarah Ban Breathnach wrote Simple Abundance, a great book for righting a warped perspective. It is time to dust it off. In the meantime, she has created an online gratefulness journal in list format that I have saved to my computer desktop. I can manage a quick list of what is right with my life, and it will be great medicine for the odious ailment of comparison and complaint.

I am playing the glad game today. I don't think I'll ever play it with the same vigor of childhood, but I am happy to know it it is still mine. Maybe my gratefulness journal will become an incubator for great story ideas. Maybe I can send the link to a few weary friends. Maybe this house does have some charm, maybe my job offers more than just a paycheck. I feel so much better already.

Thanks, Gavin.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DEAR POLLYANNA, I LOVED THIS ESSAY-FOR ITS SIMPLE TRUTHFULNESS AND MEMORIES OF WHAT MOMMA SAID-I FEEL FLATTERED BY SUCH MEMORIES.

DR. HORA AND DR. LIEDECKER WOULD APPROVE OF THE GOOD PHILOSOPHY WITHIN!

KEEP UP THE GOOD THINKIN', GOOD WRITING.

SEE YOU SOON,

LOVE, M.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, indeed!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Katey Schultz said...

well done kathy. and yes, i remember pollyanna too. nice to hear that others are there are also getting inspired by buddhist teachings. that's a big part of my life and it comliments my ability to take care of myself so that i can write when/what i need to.
so glad you're still posting every week!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Marisa said...

Thank you! I've been spending too much time lately focusing on the things that I deem to be "bad" about my life and this was the perfect reminder to reframe my perspective.

Really, thank you!

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home